Wednesday, September 19, 2007

All the partitions are gone !

Some people (and I was one them) got this problem that 'suddenly' they found all the partition in their HDD are gone and they have to repartition the HDD and lose all the data (which totally sucks).
The main cause of this problem is that the partition table either damaged or can't be red.
So we have to REwrite the partition table and I found a good utility to do this and I used it with my old HDD (before it got totally f***ed up due to thousands of bad sectors) and I rescued successfully many important data.

TestDisk
It is an open source utility which can fix the partition table and recover deleted partitions.
It has many other options we only gonna see how to recover our partitions.
I used "Hiren's Boot CD 8.9" which includes version 6.7-WIP of TestDisk.
Also I used M$ Virtual PC 6.

Let's get started.

I have a HDD and I deleted all the partitions, restarted the machine and opened TestDisk (Dos version).
I Chose "No Log" coz I don't need the log file though.
Choose the HDD you wanna recover.
Choose |Intel| (or your OS).Choose "Analyse".
Choose "Proceed".
Give the program sometime to detect the partitions (depends on the HDD status).
And BNAG :)
You have your partitions.
Press "Enter" to continue to rewrite the table.

Choose "Write" and press Enter.
The partition table will be rewritten and you'll have to restart the machine to get the new settings done.
Have phun and congrats.
Your data are back again.

By the way...
You can't get Hiren's Boot CD through their website. Google for it.

TestDisk can run under other operating systems (check this page):
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

No comments: